Browns - Stefanski | Barking Hard

Browns Stefanski

next2nothing

Utinni!
Awards
I think it's time for this guy to take a look in the mirror regarding his play-calling. I think for the most part he calls a good game, but he has shown time and time again that his situational play-calling leaves something to be desired. I know it will not happen but I would really like to see duties handed to Van Pelt.

Yesterday there were two plays that stand out to me. The first was that 4th and 1 counter play. The second was the deep ball to DPJ on 2nd down on the final drive. The 4th and 1 was Stefanski out thinking himself yet again. It's 4th and 1... Brissett had some crazy stat where he was 100% on QB sneak conversions on 4th down... RUN THE SNEAK! Yeah, I know that if that run works no one cares but it's the fact that he just goes against the "analytics" at the wrong times that blows my mind.

On that final drive there was enough time to run Chubb and set up York for a more manageable FG in my opinion. There's no need to try a deep ball to DPJ that just sets up a 3rd and long when you literally need like 10 yards and you've been running all over them.

Feel free to call me out if you think I'm off base, but I am starting to worry that Stefanski is a Marvin Lewis type coach.

I personally think Van Pelt is already calling the plays. He had a presser the other day in which he admitted they are subservient to the accountants upstairs. If they say go, they go, if they say no, they don't. Nerds have taken over the game, and analytics just don't work. As a data point fine, but as a coach you need to know your players, and be able to have an instinctive feel for the ebbs and flows of the game. You base decisions on analytics that include plays that work and don't work under different coaches, in different systems, in different weather, and during different emotional conditions. Sorry, not possible. Doesn't work.

I personally think Van Pelt is already calling the plays. He had a presser the other day in which he admitted they are subservient to the accountants upstairs. If they say go, they go, if they say no, they don't. Nerds have taken over the game, and analytics just don't work. As a data point fine, but as a coach you need to know your players, and be able to have an instinctive feel for the ebbs and flows of the game. You base decisions on analytics that include plays that work and don't work under different coaches, in different systems, in different weather, and during different emotional conditions. Sorry, not possible. Doesn't work.

That's interesting, I didn't know Van Pelt had said that. Does Stefanski have his head buried in that play sheet to just reinforce the decision then you think? That's what I don't get. The guy is the HC and you never see him talking to the players on the sideline during the TV broadcast. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's certainly rare if it does. All you see is his face in that sheet.

I think the guys upstairs are talking on his headset, they devise the play sheet based on analytics during the week, and Stefanski/Van Pelt say is this play a go in this situation or not. I think God King baseball guy is the end all be all to Haslam.

I get wanting to all be on the same page but I hope this isn't happening. You are probably right though.

We are 6th in points scored and if Cade hits that FG, and D/ST doesn’t melt down vs the Jets, we’d be 4-1 with Watson back in the building and happy as clams.

We are competitive in every game.
His 4th down success % is at the top of the league.
He runs the ball way more than any other team, which is what we all say we want.

Let’s fix the D & ST first, then see.

There isn't a problem with this offense. It's been ST's and defense. The offense has been outstanding most all the time. 6th in the league in the most critical stat with a backup. I don't know that KS can get this offense to improve on that with a backup QB, but the offense is running very, very well. Hell if York makes his FG's we win this game too.

We are one 58 yard FG away from being a 1 win team. :)

I like the offense a lot of the time, as mentioned, it's the situational play calling that sucks. And unfortunately in the NFL it's often the little things that matter. That being said, I agree, let's fire Woods... and see what Stefanski does with a real QB. I was practically dumbstruck the other day when I heard Ven Pelt say that. Another conspiracy theory that turned out to be right.

We are 6th in points scored and if Cade hits that FG, and D/ST doesn’t melt down vs the Jets, we’d be 4-1 with Watson back in the building and happy as clams.

We are competitive in every game.
His 4th down success % is at the top of the league.
He runs the ball way more than any other team, which is what we all say we want.

Let’s fix the D & ST first, then see.
While it’s great we’ve been competitive, it’s the moments where we lost that I’m scratching my head.

Like I mentioned for this week’s game, we forced passes in the red-zone which led to a turnover. Then against all odds got the ball back, and quickly benched Chubb to again pass. Game over.

Play calls are subjective, I get that, but benching your best player, who is having a great game, with the game on the line is not. What compelled that decision is beyond me.

Part of my biggest gripe with Stefanski is he seems to make the easy look hard and the hard look easy.

This offence is surprisingly good with a back-up QB, injuries on the OL and deficiencies at WR, but then he makes weird decisions which prevent the good from translating to wins.

We are one 58 yard FG away from being a 1 win team.
Bingo. People are saying you can't blame this loss on him or blame this loss on the other him. Yes you can. JB has thrown Ints at the worst possible times when a pass play wasn't even necessary. York has missed FGs that would have given us the lead or the game and he missed. Yes the offense is scoring but we're showing we're a 55 minute team and the games go 60. Whoever is calling the game is trying to out think himself and it's costing games.

If you want to go all pass happy wait for Watson and go nuts. In the meantime this team is built to run and built to run when it matters most.

Belichick looks darn normal without Brady.
McDermott has Allen.

I’m curious to see what Stefanski can do if he gets the full Watson.

Elite QB-ing covers up a lot

Top Bottom