Topic of the Day | Page 28 | Barking Hard

Topic of the Day

View attachment 936

The lawmakers made the call in a letter sent to President Biden on Wednesday. The effort was led by Reps. Thomas Massie (R-KY) and James McGovern (D-MA), who began circulating the letter to their colleagues for signatures last month.

“It is the duty of journalists to seek out sources, including documentary evidence, in order to report to the public on the activities of government,” the letter reads, according to a press release from Assange Defense.

“The United States must not pursue an unnecessary prosecution that risks criminalizing common journalistic practices and thus chilling the work of the free press. We urge you to ensure that this case be brought to a close in as timely a manner as possible,” the letter states.

Support our Independent Journalism — Donate Today!

SUBSCRIBE TO PATREON
DONATE ON PAYPAL

The letter was also signed by Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Jamaal Bowman (D-NY), Ayanna Pressley (D-MA), Greg Casar (D-TX), Ilhan Omar (D-MN), Cori Bush (D-MO), Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), Eric Burlison (R-MO), Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), Paul Gosar (R-AZ), Jesús García (D-IL), Pramila Jayapal (D-WA), Matthew Rosendale (R-MT), and Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY).

The letter comes as the Biden administration has been under pressure from the Australian government to free Assange, who is an Australian citizen. In September, a delegation of Australian members of parliament from across the political spectrum visited Washington and met with US officials to lobby for Assange. Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese brought up the case with President Biden when he visited the White House in October.

Assange faces up to 175 years in prison if extradited to the US and convicted for exposing US war crimes. The charges stem from documents published by WikiLeaks that Assange obtained from his source, former Army Private Chelsea Manning, a standard journalistic practice. Assange has been held in London’s Belmarsh Prison since April 2019 as his legal team is fighting against US efforts to extradite him.
I guess.........I'm a Weirdo too looking over that line up of characters. I was hoping Trump would've done this years ago.

Me too. I saw all those Dems and my first thought was this looks like a Liberal issue. Then again things have been bass ackwards lately.

I stand by Assange. He should not have spent a day in jail. I'll stick with that and support politicians that work towards his freedom.
And FTR I do not see much of a difference between the D's and the R's. There's the Establishment party on both sides that vote the party line on most every issue and then there's a few who actually do their job and challenge shitty, poorly written bills, laws and acts.

I've voted For Carter. Reagan 1980 once, then Perot then none Till Trump.
I could not vote for Nixon or McGovern. then Carter because of Nixon. Reagan because of Carter. by 1984 I found
I do not see much of a difference between the D's and the R's.
Also.

80% Of American Households Are In A Worse Financial Position Now Than They Were Before The COVID Pandemic Hit
The latest Federal Reserve study revealed a concerning trend among American households, particularly those outside the wealthiest 20%, according to a Bloomberg report. Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, they have depleted their extra savings and have less liquid assets than they had before the pandemic began.
As of June, the bottom 80% of households by income, when adjusted for inflation, had lower bank deposits and other liquid assets compared to their status in March 2020.

85ooe4.jpg

SenateVotesforWar.jpg

By Dave DeCamp / Antiwar.com

The Senate on Thursday voted down a resolution that would have directed President Biden to withdraw all US troops from Syria, where US forces have come under frequent attack in response to President Biden’s support for Israel’s Gaza onslaught.
The bill failed in a vote of 13-84 and received support from seven Democrats, five Republicans, and one Independent, Sen. Bernie Sanders (VT). The resolution was introduced by Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), who argued the US occupation of eastern Syria risks a major regional war.
“Keeping 900 US troops in Syria does nothing to advance American security. Rather, our intervention puts those servicemembers at grave risk by providing an enticing target for Iranian-backed militias,” Paul said.
“Our continued presence risks the United States getting dragged into yet another regional war in the Middle East without debate or a vote by the people’s representatives in Congress. Congress must cease abdicating its constitutional war powers to the executive branch,” he added...

...The US maintains that its presence in eastern Syria is about fighting ISIS remnants, but the occupation is part of a broader campaign against Damascus and its allies, which includes Iran. The US maintains crippling economic sanctions on Syria that are designed to prevent the country’s reconstruction, and the area the US occupies is where most of Syria’s oil and gas fields are located.

Untitled.jpg

From Alaska to Florida, people in the US once again took to the streets en masse to demand a permanent ceasefire in Israel’s war on Gaza and an end US aid to Israel. The Shut It Down for Palestine Coalition, composed of several organizations including the International Peoples’ Assembly, the Palestinian Youth Movement, the ANSWER Coalition, and National Students for Justice in Palestine, called for a day of action on December 8, to continue putting pressure on Israel and the US one week after Israel resumed its genocidal violence against Gaza. This coalition of organizations is bringing together the Palestine solidarity movement to disrupt major centers of power across the country.

Many of the December 8 actions happened simultaneously to the United States vetoing a UN Security Council draft resolution that would have demanded an immediate humanitarian ceasefire.

Early in the morning, the demonstration was brought directly outside of Secretary of State Antony Blinken’s home in McLean, Virginia. Demonstrators chanted, “Blinken Blinken rise and shine, you’re committing genocide!” Last week, Blinken met with Israel’s war cabinet in occupied Jerusalem, after which he urged Israel to limit civilian casualties. Many suspect that he gave the greenlight for Israel to end its temporary pause in aggression and resume full-scale attacks. The death toll of Palestinians killed by Israel in Gaza has crossed 17,700.

In New York City, a thousand demonstrators gathered in Foley Square in downtown Manhattan, outside of several major courthouses such as the New York State Supreme Court and the Thurgood Marshall United States Courthouse. Protesters then marched to New York City Hall, the New York Stock Exchange, and then to Washington Square Park, where the marchers merged with a vigil taking place in honor of slain Palestinian scholar Refaat Alareer...

...“We stand here in the political center of New York City,” said Claudia De La Cruz at Foley Square. De La Cruz is a Bronx-born pastor and educator who is running for President of the United States against incumbent Joe Biden. She pointed to the facade of the New York State Supreme Courthouse, which reads, “The true administration of justice is the firmest pillar of good government.” ...

...In Los Angeles, protesters held a rally in Holmby Park, outside of a private fundraiser held and attended by Joe Biden. Dubbed “Genocide Joe” by the Palestine solidarity movement, Biden has come under fire for furthering the United States’ unequivocal support of Israeli war crimes...

... In Philadelphia, protesters took over the lobby of the Comcast headquarters, disrupting a holiday light show...

...Demonstrators also rallied outside of corporations...the Boeing headquarters in Chicago...the headquarters of weapons contractor Textron in Rhode Island...Also in Rhode Island, demonstrators marched from the State House to the office of US Senator Jack Reed. Reed has pushed numerous times to pass massive funding packages for Israel and Ukraine... In Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, healthcare workers held a vigil honoring slain medical workers in Gaza, and demanded a ceasefire.

Top Bottom