It's time to turn the page and begin the hunt for a new QB. #Browns | Page 23 | Barking Hard

It's time to turn the page and begin the hunt for a new QB. #Browns

Sorry player fans. It's time. Baker Mayfield is an average NFL QB, a future journeyman ...and it's time to look at our options. There are only two QBs in the NFL worse than Baker Mayfield in the 4th quarter. We routinely finish in the bottom half in almost every meaningful passing category. There is nothing at all special about him. I used to think he had an elite arm, but a lot of QBs can throw the ball hard. He can certainly throw it, but how well does he pass it really? High, hard, and behind. Rinse and repeat. A large percentage of his completions go that route as well. He has every single weakness he had coming out of college. Nothing at all has improved. In the NFL he isn't chucking up prayers to NFL caliber WRs being covered by guys who are now checking out your groceries. Baker Mayfield is the 4th best QB in the AFC North. Out of 4 teams.

Last place in the division. Most in here predicted outlandish success this season. 12 wins? 14? Maybe more. This blow-hard thought we would likely have less wins than last season, simply due to a historically easy schedule in 2020. The Browns just lost to a team with no kicker, and a fat QB who likely has lower back problems, and runs about as fast as an arthritic sloth. People are now starting to look for new excuses. The new coach is holding the team back. The WRs drop the ball too much. Mean fans are hurting Emily Mayfield's feelings and it's having an effect on Baker's play. The truth is, there's a bottleneck at the QB position. We have a Superbowl caliber roster, and a QB that is limiting what we can do with it. Baker Mayfield is the best QB we have had in twenty years ....and people are desperate to defend him. I get it.

Against the Steelers on Sunday we witnessed something we try really hard to ignore. Baker throwing high and hard the majority of the game. While throwing from the pocket, Baker not only can't see most of the field, but he throws his trademark bullets high enough to get over the defenders standing between he and his receiver. This just doesn't work, as the trajectory of these bullets leave them high and often behind his mark. A difficult ask of WRs, TEs, and RBs. You'll have player fans on twitter showing slow motion replays of a ball going through Hooper's hand, and calling anyone who dares criticize Baker a "mouth breather", but in reality Hooper was at the top of his jump, arms outstretched to the max, trying to reel in a high, hard, and behind football. Could have easily been a walk in touchdown instead... a bad pass. A QB could normally avoid this by putting some touch on the ball, a little arc, or air under it ....but Baker doesn't seem to have that gear.

hoopermiss.PNG

Mayfield throughout his entire career has made a cottage industry of rolling to his right. It seems to be the one thing he is great at. The problem is, when you are a one-trick pony, other teams game-plan to take that trick away from you. Baker has rolled right and attempted to pass a total of 6 times this year. Think about that in relation to each year prior. Teams have forced Baker into the pocket, the Steelers literally dared the Browns to pass practically the entire game. How is it working out?

WC_Browns_play_action.gif

Fourth quarter, and another chance to win a game. Most of us knew what was going to happen didn't we? We have held onto hope, praying that the light would go on, that Baker would make wholesale changes, and he would become the Browns franchise QB ...someone we could count on to put the team on his back and lead us to victory with the game on the line. What we have got in reality is a QB that is 33 of 62, with 4 TDs and 5 INTS. Sam Darnold is the only QB as bad as Mayfield with the game on the line since 2018. Mayfield's passing rating with the game on the line is 61.3 and the Browns are 3-11 in these scenarios.

Mosley.gif

Kevin Stefanski was hired to reign in Mayfield's erratic tendencies. Stefanski's offense tends to turn average QBs into statistical wonders, (Case Keenum) and perhaps limit some players at certain positions, like a downfield QB and burner WR for example. Some argue that Stefanski has taken Mayfield's gunslinger aura away from him, which while true is also the reason why Baker has become far less prone to interceptions. The dink and dunk offense with numerous screens and TE heavy route trees certainly makes a QB look good on paper at times ...but who is Baker Mayfield without the ability to roll out on play action and plant bombs down the field? Certainly these are often 50/50 bombs, but they do add to what an opposing defense has to worry about. Mayfield has 10 completions of 20 or more yards this season ...20th in the league. Recall Stefon Diggs having the same issue that OBJ is currently having in the Stefanski offense. He moved on to the Bills and is back to all-pro form. I suspect OBJ will do the same for some other team.

hi-res-fb20a37f4de5b9034aec8d34c1c44bbd_crop_north.jpg

In short, we have no vertical passing attack, while employing one of the very best WR tandems in the game, and one of the fastest WRs in the league in Schwartz. Did the Browns hire the right coach? If you believe analytics and going by the book is usually right, then yes. If you believe in coaches who base decisions on the ebb and flow of the game, their "gut" as it were, then no. We are the worst team in the league at going for it on 4th down. Analytics got us there.

We could have had Canton native and lifelong Browns fan Josh McDaniels.

giphy.gif

So where are we now? A Superbowl caliber roster, with an extremely limited QB, and a coach who can only go by the book, apparently not capable of harnessing whatever "elite" trait Mayfield may have, if he has one at all. Playoffs this season ...not likely. Our Superbowl window is open for only a short while ...without the Browns front office doing something extremely out of character (see, ballsy) like going after a Watson, Wilson, or Rogers ...I don't see us going anywhere.

BrownsWithoutOBJ_AP_Ringer.jpg

(yes another QB thread)

Last edited:
This is another moment where I'm glad that no one on a discussion board makes decisions for the Cleveland Browns.
I'm reminded of another QB named Plunkett. The Pats and the 49ers both gave up on him.
He had to go to the Raiders to win a SuperBowl. Twice.

It's true. Baker is Dorsey's pick. But Berry, Depodesta and Stefanski aren't likely to make arbitrary and rash decisions about a first overall draft pick QB who's been battling against some serious injuries that has messed up his throwing mechanics and footwork.

He's also shown us issues with vision and decision making. Favre was also known to throw picks.

For better or worse, I believe Baker will be having surgery after the season and will most likely be wearing a Browns helmet in 2022.
And it wouldn't surprise me if CLE did draft another QB.

This is another moment where I'm glad that no one on a discussion board makes decisions for the Cleveland Browns.
I'm reminded of another QB named Plunkett. The Pats and the 49ers both gave up on him.
He had to go to the Raiders to win a SuperBowl. Twice.

It's true. Baker is Dorsey's pick. But Berry, Depodesta and Stefanski aren't likely to make arbitrary and rash decisions about a first overall draft pick QB who's been battling against some serious injuries that has messed up his throwing mechanics and footwork.

He's also shown us issues with vision and decision making. Favre was also known to throw picks.

For better or worse, I believe Baker will be having surgery after the season and will most likely be wearing a Browns helmet in 2022.
And it wouldn't surprise me if CLE did draft another QB.
So you’re happy with the progress I mean digress? Mayfield is a dud regardless of who chose him. Stefanski has gotten progressively worse as a head coach. How do you go from being COY to barely hanging around at around .500 and could quite probably finish below .500? Especially with the talent on this team? Unless he is a dud too?

How do you go from being COY to barely hanging around at around .500
ahh your starting QB gets severely injured and should really be out for the year
covid comes in and wipes out our team
we have a really tough schedule including road games vs chiefs,chargers,pats and GB (all losses) so theres half of our 8 losses right there
thats how..

Baker Mayfield is now 31st in the league in the 4th quarter. Well done.
Here is the worst part. As I have maintained, I have never seen a worse QB in championship moments. This is why I believe the Steelers will win Monday night. I cold have posted this on the MNF post, but I think it fits well right here,

That is the most irritating thing for me too. He just doesn't seem able to rally the offense late in the game very well. But he has big games like the Chargers game and last year against the Ravens. I think it was last year when we lost 40 something to 40 something. He had the offense humming but came up short.

you keep saying. on every thread.this is a QB thread.BTW you're going to lose.badly.
Hey Karen, try a pair of pantyhose that fit and don't stop the oxygen flow to your snatch. Seriously, stop being a wining pussy.

Talking about the Steelers game in reference to the Monday night game is not off topic My overall criticism of Mayfield includes his repeated, and obvious failure to deliver in what I call "championship moments". I provided an article in support of my beliefs, and it is not just me who sees that Mayfield has been too small for those moments that great QBs seem to rise in.

My using the upcoming Steeler game in prediction for sure is applicable to a game thread, but it is also applicable here because the upcoming game is indeed a stage for all of us to watch and see if such a moment presents itself to Mayfield, and if so, will he again falter.

This is a big game, so it is very reasonable for people here to use it as gauge of Bakers' abilities.

You say I will lose badly. So are you saying the browns are going to win by a blowout?

Traditionally, this is a heated, hard fought and generally close game. It is the perfect test stage to see how Baker does. I hope I am dead wrong, but I think Mayfield will shit his pants.

...and your number one WR quits on the team in the middle of the season and your All-Pro RT misses more than half the season.
More excuses. The feeling with the team and Beckham was mutual. I assure you! RT? It’s on Berry and the Laptop for not having depth. As far as Stefanski is concerned it’s up to him to motivate his guys. If he’s not doing that he is derelict in duty.

^^^Not an excuse.^^^

Our depth at Tackle was Hubbard and Hudson who we drafted in the fifth round. Hubbard got hurt early and was out for the season. This was after Wills got hurt in the KC game and Conklin a game or two later. Hudson wasn't ready, but was forced in early and eventually gave way to Hance who is a guard, but more experienced. Tretter missed the GBay game and we ended up with only Teller starting at his original position for that game. No amount of depth can cover that without repercussions. Good news was Harris filled in at Center and did a decent job.

Still the offense' lack of production overall centers around poor QB play. This other stuff seems more like piling on. I agree OBJ and the FO both wanted him gone, but the FO couldn't trade him because he was hurt. They tried to string it out long enough to create value before trading him as any other FO would try to do.

^^^Not an excuse.^^^

Our depth at Tackle was Hubbard and Hudson who we drafted in the fifth round. Hubbard got hurt early and was out for the season. This was after Wills got hurt in the KC game and Conklin a game or two later. Hudson wasn't ready, but was forced in early and eventually gave way to Hance who is a guard, but more experienced. Tretter missed the GBay game and we ended up with only Teller starting at his original position for that game. No amount of depth can cover that without repercussions. Good news was Harris filled in at Center and did a decent job.

Still the offense' lack of production overall centers around poor QB play. This other stuff seems more like piling on. I agree OBJ and the FO both wanted him gone, but the FO couldn't trade him because he was hurt. They tried to string it out long enough to create value before trading him as any other FO would try to do.
This is all stuff I am aware of. What you’re saying is there should be no excuses against the Steelers! Stupid decision to let (yes I said let) the OBJ situation get out of control btw. All he’s doing now is getting himself and his team to the playoffs!

I would personally like to thank Baker Mayfield for being such a selfish cunt that he refused to sit while injured because he was so afraid to be shown up by a backup, costing the Browns the playoffs and possibly a great year. Some gratitude also goes to the gutless coach the Tennessee hillbillies hired who just couldn't bring himself to lead, and bench the worst starting QB in the league. Thanks coach!

This is all stuff I am aware of. What you’re saying is there should be no excuses against the Steelers! Stupid decision to let (yes I said let) the OBJ situation get out of control btw. All he’s doing now is getting himself and his team to the playoffs!
This game doesn't matter at this point except for stats, if there are any for anybody to cash in on and playing like you want to be here next year. Pit still has a slim chance for a playoff spot as well as b'more, but that's not on the table for our guys.

It wasn't a stupid decision at the start of the season since he couldn't even get on the field. It was the right decision at the start of the season, but it didn't workout in a positive way for the FO. Who here thought it was a terrible idea to keep OBJ at the start of the season? I don't remember before the season started anyone saying we should cut OBJ now.

Maybe you did. I don't know, but if so cheers! 🍻

Top Bottom